A NSW Government website

Oral (Dental) Health - New England


Public oral health (dental) services can be accessed by all children 0-18 years of age who reside within the Local Health District. For children to access dental services they must be listed on a current Medicare Card. Child oral health services are provided primarily by Dental and Oral Health Therapists.

Hunter New England's Oral Health Service is committed to improving access to oral health services for Aboriginal people.

Oral Health Parent and Carer Resources.

What services are provided?

Oral health services provided for children may include:

  • Emergency care
  • Examinations
  • General treatment
  • Preventative treatment
  • Managed care and recalls
  • Specialists referrals (Special needs) 

Dental Health Check for Kids

Brushing your child's teeth and the signs of decay

Dental Clinic Locations
  • Armidale
    Armidale Hospital Campus
    Cnr Butler & Rusden Streets, Armidale
  • Moree
    Moree Hospital
    Alice St, Moree
  • Glen Innes
    Glenn Innes Hospital
    Taylor St, Glenn Innes
  • Narrabri
    Narrabri Hospital
    66 Gibbons St, Narrabri
  • Gunnedah
    Gunnedah Hospital
    Marquis St, Gunnedah
  • Tamworth
    Tamworth Hospital Campus
    John St, Tamworth
  • Inverell
    Inverell Hospital
    Swanbrook St, Inverell



Accessing services

A referral is not necessary to access oral health services.

Hunter New England Local Health District provides free dental care (for all children under 18 who are listed on a Medicare Card) and participates in the Child Dental Benefits Schedule. For further details parents and carers can call the Oral Health Contact Centre on 1300 651 625.

Child health professionals can provide a referral to oral health services through  the Early Childhood Oral Health (ECOH) Program this encourages health professionals to regularly check for signs of Early Childhood Caries (ECC) – a preventable and chronic disease – by simply ‘lifting the lip’.

For Hunter New England Local Health District staff, ECOH Referrals can be made on via http://intranet.hne.health.nsw.gov.au/oral_health_ereferral

Oral Health Girl