A NSW Government website

Roles in the Hospital (A-Z)

During your child and family’s time in the health system, you will meet lots of different people that work with you and your child.

Here is a list of common roles (in alphabetical order) to give you a clearer idea of who is who, and what they do.

Allied Health Assistant

Works alongside allied health professionals to carry out treatments or tasks.

Allied Health Professional

Helps with healthcare but is not a doctor or nurse. Allied health includes physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech pathology and dietetics.


Checks your child's hearing.


A doctor who specialises in heart health.

Child Life Therapist

Helps children and their family with difficult experiences such as being in hospital, having surgery or treatment. They help children to cope with situations through teaching, play, preparation, and creativity.

Clinical Nurse Consultant (CNC)

A special type of nurse who has advanced knowledge and experience in a specific area of nursing. They are often the key contact person in a specialist medical team.

Complex Care Coordinator

A key contact for children and families in the HNEkids Complex Care Coordination Service. They can help to get answers to your questions and streamline your child's hospital appointments.

Consultant / Staff Specialist

An experienced doctor with specialist knowledge in an area of medicine e.g. Neurology, Rehabilitation, Orthopaedics, Respiratory, etc.


Provides information to children and families about food and nutrition.


A first year doctor working under supervision.

Music Therapist

Supports children and their family through challenging experiences such as being in a hospital, having surgery or treatment. Helps children to cope with situations by using music to help calm, communicate and express themselves.


A doctor who specialises in looking at medical conditions of the brain and nervous system.

Nursing Unit Manager (NUM)

A nurse who oversees the day-to-day patient care and running of a hospital ward.

Occupational Therapist

Looks at how children can use parts of their bodies to be able to do things by themselves. Helps to set up a child's environment in a way that works well for them; this may include using different pieces of equipment.


Specialises in looking at eye health.

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Specialises in looking at bones and joints.


Designs and makes supportive pieces of equipment, such as braces or splints for a body part.


Trained in giving out prescription medicines. They can tell you how to take the medication and how the medication works.


Looks at your how your child moves and plays. They can help with making your child's muscles strong and flexible and help find other ways to move their bodies.


Makes artificial limbs for people who don't have that limb.


Helps to understand how children think, behave, and interact with their environment.


Uses medical equipment to make radiographic images, such as x-rays.


A doctor who specialises in looking at medical images (e.g. x-rays) to diagnose and treat injuries and medical conditions. The person who looks at the images taken by a radiographer.

Registered Nurse

Provides general nursing care to children of all ages.


A doctor with at least three years of experience in a public hospital. They supervise more junior doctors and are training to become a specialist.


A doctor with at least one year of experience in a public hospital. They work under the supervision of a specialist.

Social Worker

Helps a child and family to cope with their personal and practical needs at a particular time in their life. Such needs include dealing with a new diagnosis, family stress and financial strain.

Speech Pathologist

Helps children with challenges around speaking, writing, reading, and swallowing.