A NSW Government website

Understanding the NDIS

Understanding and accessing NDIS

If your child is over 7 years, call the Local Area Coordinator.

If your child is under 7 years and has a developmental delay or disability needing early support, call the early childhood partner in your Local Government Area.

If you are worried about any part of your child’s development, it is important to get help early and quickly. For more information about this, visit the Reimagine website.

Partners in the community can also support you to access the NDIS if you’re eligible. Find your nearest partner in the community here: NDIS offices and contacts in your area.

NDIS and healthcare

What is the difference between Health Services and the NDIS?

Health Services and the NDIS both help people with disabilities in Australia. They have different ways of providing care, serve different purposes, and get their money from different places.

Health Services

  • Provided by the healthcare system to prevent and treat illness, injury and disease.
  • Include hospital care, treatments, medicines, tests, rehab and mental health services.
  • Funded by the state government based on service type, how many people need the service and the budget.


  • Designed to help people who have a permanent and significant disability to develop skills, be more independent, and participate in their communities.
  • Include support workers, equipment, home modifications and specialist therapies. Supports are related to the person’s disability.
  • Funded by the federal government through the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) using a needs-based funding model. This means that each person gets a funding package suited to their needs.