Your Rights & Responsibilities
As a consumer of a Children, Young People and Families service, we encourage you to ask questions so that you can understand your Rights and Responsibilities. If at any time you are dissatisfied with your child's care, you can, and are encouraged to, discuss your concerns with a member of your health care team.
What children and their care givers can expect:
- To receive safe and appropriate health care in an environment that respects your dignity, values, cultural needs, privacy and developmental needs.
- To feel secure; to receive a clear and age appropriate explanation about any service provided, procedure performed or treatment undertaken.
- To be given the opportunity to freely express your views, ask questions and receive answers.
- To have all aspects of care dealt with privately and confidentially.
- To be asked for consent before any health and nursing care commences. (In an emergency, we may need to take action before you are consulted.)
- To be consulted with and involved in all health care decisions.
We understand that having a child who requires health care can be stressful, however, when providing health services throughout Hunter New England Local Health District it is expected that all staff will be treated with respect. Threatening behaviour and bad language will not be tolerated.
What we expect of children and their care givers
While receiving care from a Children, Young People and Families service, you will be expected to:
- Behave in a reasonable and responsible manner; including not smoking near children or staff attending to your child.
- Respect the privacy of other patients and their families using the same facilities and support their health and nursing care plans.
- Follow an agreed plan of health care and advise if any alternative therapies are being used or practitioners consulted.
- Observe local rules and adhere to policies and procedures as explained.
- Keep appointments as arranged or notify us if you are unable to attend.
- Ensure that the service is advised when contact details change.