Children's Cancer & Haematology Service
The Children's Cancer and Haematology Service at John Hunter Children's Hospital include diagnosis, treatment and follow-up for children and young people up to and including 18 years of age with all forms of paediatric cancer, including solid tumours and lymphoreticular malignancies.
In addition, specialist paediatric haematology consultation, review and management is available for children and young people with non-malignant haematological conditions.
Who will be responsible for my child's care?
John Hunter Children's Hospital has three staff specialists in oncology/haematology. They are:
Dr Frank Alvaro
Dr Janis Chamberlain
Dr Elizabeth Hesketh
What do patients have access to during their treatment?
- Specialist paediatric surgeons
- Paediatric neurosurgery
- Specialist paediatric medical imaging
- Specialist paediatric radiation (Calvary Mater Newcastle and Sydney Children's Hospital
- Specialist pathology services
- Specialist oncology ward and day unit facility for outpatient chemotherapy
- Specialist paediatric anaesthesia and pain management and palliative care services
- Cancer care coordination with a specialist oncology nurse consultant
- Autologous stem cell transplant
- Access to extensive national and international cancer clinical trials programme
- Shared care with paediatricians for patients from rural locations
- Outreach services to Manning Rural Referral Hospital
- Education sessions for patients and families who have recently completed therapy
- Late effects follow-up for monitoring the long term effects of cancer therapy into adulthood with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention
- Diagnosis and management of non-malignant haematological conditions
- Social Work and psychology services
- Paediatric physiotherapy and occupational therapy
- Specialist dietitcian service
- Music and play therapy
Referrals must be made by a health professional. Non-urgent referrals may include:
- Weight loss for investigation
- Bone pain
Appointments can be made via the Paediatric Outpatient Department:
|(02)49 855180 (Mon - Thurs)|
|(02)49 213080 (Friday)|
Referrals should be faxed through to the above number. Patients need to bring original written referral to their consultation.
If any investigations have been done please send/fax all results to enable a review at the time of consultation.
For urgent consultation and advice on oncological or haematological matters please contact the John Hunter switchboard on (02)49 213000 and request to speak with the on-call Paediatric Oncologist.
Urgent oncology or haematology patient referrals do not have to wait for outpatient appointments to be reviewed.