Rehabilitation Inpatient Service
The Paediatric Rehabilitation Inpatient Service provides comprehensive, interdisciplinary rehabilitation care for children and young people admitted to John Hunter Children’s Hospital (JHCH) experiencing a loss of function or ability due to major injury, illness or medical procedures.
The Paediatric Rehabilitation Inpatient Service is provided as a partnership between JHCH staff including allied health, Nurse Unit Managers (NUMs), ward staff and staff specialists; paediatric rehabilitation medical and nursing staff; and patients and their families.
The Paediatric Rehabilitation Inpatient Service aims to:
- enable these children and young people to achieve the highest level of independence physically, psychologically and socially
- maximise their quality of life and their participation within their family and community
- minimise their long term health care and support needs
What services are provided?
- Initial medical assessment by a Paediatric Rehabilitation Specialist.
(Some children and young people will only require a medical consult with the Paediatric Rehabilitation Specialist while others will need an individual interdisciplinary rehabilitation care plan established)
- Individual assessment, interdisciplinary treatment and regular review of progress
- Establishing comprehensive interdisciplinary rehabilitation care plans including clear goals and documented functional outcome measures
- Weekly review of each interdisciplinary rehabilitation care plan with all involved in the rehabilitation care for each child / young person
- Liaison with each child’s local school and with John Hunter Children’s Hospital School as required
- Liaison with appropriate services for ongoing rehabilitation in the ambulatory and community setting
- Support for discharge planning and community reintegration for children and young people seen within the service
The service is provided by:
- Ward staff including: NUMs, Staff Specialists, nurses and ward clerks
- Allied Health staff including: Child Life Therapy, Music Therapy, Art Therapy, Neuropsychology, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Social Work, Speech Pathology and Dietetics
- Community and Adolescent Mental Health Service Consultant Liaison
- Paediatric Rehabilitation Specialists
- Rehabilitation Clinical Nurse Consultants (CNC)
The Paediatric Rehabilitation Inpatient Service also maintains close working relationships with other specialist services including:
Do I need a referral?
A medical referral is required to access the Paediatric Rehabilitation Inpatient Service. Referring Doctor to:
- Call the Paediatric Rehabilitation Specialist to discuss the referral.
- Complete a General Request Form and place this in the patient’s notes.
Key elements for the criteria for selection into the Paediatric Rehabilitation Inpatient Service include the determination of medical stability and determining if there is potential to return to premorbid functioning or to increase overall level of function.
Locations and contact details
|Address:||John Hunter Children's Hospital|
|Phone:||0417 237 629|
|Contact:||Clinical Nurse Consultant|
|Hours:||Monday to Friday (8am - 4.30pm)|
|Fees:||This is a free service. If a child's rehabilitation is compensable then the relevant authority (insurance company or Life-Time Care and Support Scheme) will be billed for services|