Child and Family Health Nursing
Child and Family Health Nursing (CFHN) is a primary health care service providing a wide range of health care and health promotional services to children and families. The service aims to maintain and improve the health of children and their families in the Greater Taree, Great Lakes and Gloucester Local Government Areas.
Child and Family Health Nurses promote the physical, emotional and social health, well-being and development of children from birth to five years of age, including their families.
What services are provided?
Child and Family Health Nurses assist parents of children aged 0 - 5 years with aspects of parenting such as:
- Assessment and monitoring of growth and development in young children
- Assistance with feeding and nutrition
- Assistance with settling and sleeping issues
- Provision of education and support to enhance positive and enjoyable parenting.
- Provision of information - about child safety, toilet training, behaviour and parenting practices, development, play activities, looking after teeth, immunisation, postnatal depression and adjustment to parenthood.
- Early detection and management of postnatal depression
- Information and referral to local services such as play groups, self help and support groups
We are a free service and offer a first home visit to families with a new baby.
Child Health Clinics (Please phone for appointments) - suggested developmental checks
- 1-4 weeks
- 6-8 weeks
- 6 months
- 1 year
- 18 months
- 2 years
- 3 years
- 4 years
Locations and contact details
For further details and appointments phone the Child & Family Health Nurse in your area.
Taree Community Health Centre (Provides clinics at Taree, Wingham, Old Bar and Harrington)
Phone: 6592 9315
Forster Community Health Centre (Provides a Clinic at Forster)
Phone: 6539 6500
Gloucester Community Health Centre (Provides clinics at Gloucester and Stroud)
Phone: 6538 5058
Bulahdelah Community Health Centre
Phone: 4987 9929
Hawks Nest Community Health Centre
Phone: 4997 0186
Services for Aboriginal Families
Building Strong Foundations Service
Child & Family Health Nurse
Phone: 0408 610 223
Aboriginal Health Education Officer
Phone: 0417 834 754